What we’re doing:
- PETITION (OPEN): Stop the prison industrial goat farm (Change.org).
- PRISON FARM REPORT: “Canada’s proposed prison farm program: Why it won’t work and what would work better”
- PRISON ABATTOIR REPORT: “Bloody Bad Business: Report on the Joyceville Institution Abattoir”
- PUBLIC LEGAL EDUCATION (PLE) BOOKLET: “Cultivating Justice: Transforming Canada’s Prison Farms” developed with law students at Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto.
- LEGAL SERVICES: Queen’s Business Law Clinic reviewed human rights & trade laws related to the prison farms.
- MEDIA: Publishing articles, reports, and reporting through social media on all aspects of the prison farms.
- ACCESS TO INFORMATION: 103+ requests filed over five years.
How you can help:
- SIGN OUR PETITION
- FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- CONTACT US with your ideas, information, or to volunteer.
- WRITE TO :
- CSC Commissioner Anne Kelly: Anne.Kelly@CSC-SCC.GC.CA
- CORCAN CEO Kelly Hartle: Kelly.Hartle@CSC-SCC.GC.CA
- Public Safety Minister: email@example.com
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MP Mark Gerretsen, Kingston and the Islands: Mark.Gerretsen@parl.gc.ca
NATIONAL POSTCARD CAMPAIGN
The Canadian government is introducing for-profit prison farms focused on industrial goat dairy for commercial sale.
In 2019, concerned citizens and prisoners across Canada mailed 23,000 postcards to the Minister of Public Safety calling for ethical, environmental, evolved prison farms. This included the participation of countless individuals and 130 Postcard-A-Day Volunteers who helped send the message that prison farms should do no harm.
In 2021, following the publication of an academic Prison Farm Report and public pressure including our 50,000 signature petition, the Correctional Service of Canada announced the “temporary pause” of its Prison Industrial Goat Farm.
In 2022, CSC quietly commenced construction of a manure lagoon and dairy facility infrastructure at Joyceville Institution.